For this assignment, I used the Independent Florida Alligator magazine.
Problem #1 -
Nancy Smith: Quit delaying: Pay the money, test the rape kits
Link :http://www.ocala.com/article/20160124/OPINION/160129897/-1/archive?Title=Nancy-Smith-Quit-delaying-Pay-the-money-test-the-rape-kits
According to this article, there are over 200,000 untested rape kits in this country. Over 13,000 of them are sitting in the State of Florida. The problem is pretty clear in this situation, and it belongs to those that are suffering as victims in these cases and crimes and the local police stations are not taking proper advantage of their resources.
Problem #2 -
Kurt Kelly: Strides in caring for Florida’s endangered children still not enough
Link : http://www.ocala.com/article/20160124/OPINION/160129898/-1/archive?Title=Kurt-Kelly-Strides-in-caring-for-Florida-8217-s-endangered-children-still-not-enough
In this article, the problem talked about is that child welfare is not funded enough in Florida. The child welfare system in Florida has improved to one of the best, but it's now time to receive the funding for this program. The people with this problem are the current investors and backers of Florida's child welfare system.
Problem #3 -
Editorial: Water policy fails Floridians
Link: http://www.ocala.com/article/20160124/OPINION01/160129902/-1/archive?Title=Editorial-Water-policy-fails-Floridians
Stated in this article, a bill was just passed to improve Florida's water policy, to clean up and preserve our natural water resources. However, the article points out that the bill is flawed in several ways. This creates a problem for the residents of Florida, because the article of legislature that they thought would save them, is now backfiring.
Problem #4 -
Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson and Jim Tatum: What’s so bad about fracking?
Link: http://www.ocala.com/article/20160124/OPINION/160129900/-1/archive?Title=Merrillee-Malwitz-Jipson-and-Jim-Tatum-What-8217-s-so-bad-about-fracking-
In this article, the authors discuss the cons of fracking. Methane is leaking and being exposed into the air and water, causing a lot of people to become ill. People worldwide are being affected by this problem.
Problem #5 -
Brent Hall: Let’s get back to basics — for the nation’s sake
Link : http://www.ocala.com/article/20160124/OPINION/160129899/-1/archive?Title=Brent-Hall-Let-8217-s-get-back-to-basics-8212-for-the-nation-8217-s-sake
In this article, a multitude of things are being discussed that have changed over the years, affecting the older people in our generation. That specifies a group of people with these underlying problems, but the real question is whether or not it is practical to revert to something that has been shown to have failures in the past. Things were changed for a reason.
Hey Ryan. Nice post. Also wanted to mention that I really like the layout and design of your blog. I think that you found some really cool articles that bring up some interesting local problems and opportunities. I had no idea that some of these issues. For example, I wasn’t aware of the lack of funding for the child welfare system.
ReplyDeleteI’m required to link my post. Here it is: http://parkeruf.blogspot.com/2016/01/identifying-local-opportunities.html
Hi Ryan, I like the overall setup of your blog. It caught my attention in addition to the topics you chose. I like how they are listed. Your descriptions also make it very easy for the reader to identify the issue and a possible solution. Some may say you didn't describe enough but, I think it leaves enough open for the reader to interpret different solutions to the problems. Well done.
ReplyDeleteHere is a link to my blog: http://phatblogz.blogspot.com Please check it out!
ReplyDelete